Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 5: Honey Granola

I thought including a granola recipe would encourage me to break out my food dehydrator, but then I remembered that the dehydrator was a big, messy hassle and it took almost an entire day to make the granola. Why not use the oven instead?

Any dried fruit will work well in this recipe. I used golden raisins and was surprised when they came out of the oven dark brown, crunchy and bitter.  I edited the recipe to reflect what I *should* have done - add the dried fruit after the granola is baked.

I'd typically prefer whole almonds in granola, but have some slivered almonds I need to use.

Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup slivered almonds
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup acacia honey
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit

Directions

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Combine oats, flax seed, brown sugar, cinnamon and almonds in a bowl.

In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter, add honey and stir until blended.

Pour butter and honey over dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.

Spread mixture on a baking sheet and bake until golden and slightly crunchy, 25-30 minutes.

Cool to room temperature. Granola will get crunchier as it cools. Toss with raisins and store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love granola, will definitely have to try this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying it here, too! We love granola, especially sprinkled on our yogurt.

    ReplyDelete