Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 14: Ethiopian Honey Bread

My childhood friend and classmate Becky offered this contribution to the blog, courtesy of her friend from Ethiopia. She says it's name is something like "Deformadabo."

Becky makes this recipe in a bread machine, which gives me a great excuse to dust off mine. I've never quite felt the love from my bread machine - it might be the loaf shape or missing the physical contact with the dough or something else - but maybe this will inspire me to use it more often.

Yield: 1 loaf

Ingredients

1 cup water
3 tsp canola oil
1/4 cup millefiori honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups bread flour
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
2 tsp yeast

Directions

Combine dry ingredients then add wet ingredients.

If using a bread machine, bake according to machine directions.

Without a bread machine, let rise, punch, make into loaf, let rise again and then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.


It being quite late I only had a small sample from the hole on the bottom of the loaf (one bread machine advantage). This bread has a wonderful flavor and would be fantastic on its own or with a bit of butter. However, I have something exciting in mind for tomorrow that I think will pair so well with this bread. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment