Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 30: Honey Marinated Bison Steak

I don't typically like marinated meat. Good meat doesn't need more than light seasoning. However, a honey-based marinade seemed a great finale for 30 Days of Honey, particularly since I'm marinating bison steaks from Wild Idea Buffalo, sustainably raised in the Black Hills.

Yield: enough for two small steaks

Ingredients

2 tsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp thyme
sea salt, to taste

Directions

Combine ingredients in a bowl and marinate steaks for at least an hour (I marinated for eight).

I broiled these for four minutes per side. My dinner guests and I sampled three different cuts: ribeye, sirloin and tenderloin. The tenderloin seemed to be the favorite cut and the marinade was, frankly, not a hit. I probably won't use this again for bison steak, though I could see this recipe being quite good with chicken or pork. A great steak needs nothing but a bit of salt and pepper. Oh, did I mention that already?

No comments:

Post a Comment