Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 19: Honey-Balsamic Lamb Chops

I'm not sure why, but lamb elicits a fair amount of commentary in my world. From Europeans who assume Americans have never eaten lamb, to those of my same small-town origin citing lamb as an indicator of the sophisticated palate associated with eschewing rural roots, to some who consider eating baby animals whom I may have once bottle fed to be a bit too cruel...lamb seems fraught with meaning.

Why must something so beautifully simple be made into something complicated and significant? Here's what I know: Lamb is delicious, I have a freezer full of it and that makes me happy.

I get lamb from my uncle Duane, who raises lambs (a few, mostly for the enjoyment of it) 45 minutes from downtown Minneapolis. His are, without a doubt, the best lambs I have ever tasted and many a dinner guest has agreed ("I didn't think I liked lamb until I tried this").

Usually, I prefer my lamb chops with just a bit of sea salt and pepper, broiled or grilled. But since I love lamb and am trying to incorporate my favorite foods into 30 Days of Honey, I'm giving Giada's recipe a try.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
2 tablespoons millefiori honey
3/4 cup canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 small lamb chops
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Directions

If using a grill, preheat it now. I'm not feeling the grilling urge and am quite partial to the broiler.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the balsamic vinegar, garlic, and honey. Pulse until blended. With the machine running, slowly pour in the vegetable oil until the mixture is smooth and forms a thick sauce.

Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Season the lamb chops with salt and pepper.

Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary.

Put lamb chops under the broiler for 4 to 5 minutes each side until medium-rare.

Spoon the sauce over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment